Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day One (Actually Day Two Since I Technically Left Yesterday)

First, I will try to upload pictures as soon as possible. Internet here is so freaking expensive - $NZD15 for only 50MB. Yes, by the MB! I used that in, like, a half hour.

That aside, this place is amazing! I was upgraded so I just look outside and see the beach and the ocean. As I type this, the water is only feet away from me.

My flight arrive around 6:10AM and everyone had smiles on their faces. Even the passport control people. I mean, passport control?! Have you ever seen any of those people smile in any country? Live music and leis with real flowers awaited our plane's arrival.

I got to the Aroa Beachside and was immediately taken to my cottage. Unless you are used to the lap of luxury, I couldn't recommend a place more. Breakfast was already being served on the outdoor bar area on the beach. The freshest fruit ever! Everyone here already knew my name before I even got here. It's more of a family atmosphere with the staff rather than a hotel feel where you are forgotten the minute you leave. There were some returnees who immediately got hugs from the staff. The bar area is a great hangout to meet and chat with all the guests. Did I mention how friendly people are?

After checking in with work, I made today an easy beach day. The water is crystal clear and calm as the breakfront holding back waves was pretty far out. Snorkling gear is included, so I was able to see lots of different marine life. Of course, not being on a beach for a long time left my a bit sunburnt despite my best efforts to use sunscreen. The evening included a welcome drink at the bar and more good conversation. All in all, couldn't ask for a better start to this.

Again, pictures to come (have to make them a small upload size so I don't have to keep buying access cards).

3 comments:

  1. Yay yay yay! So exciting! You are getting what you deserve :) Keep enjoying paradise, for yourself and for all of us who are stuck in the city.
    LOVE the photos above

    ReplyDelete
  2. "After checking in with work, I made today an easy beach day. The water is crystal clear and calm as the breakfront holding back waves was pretty far out. Snorkling gear is included, so I was able to see lots of different marine life." - dude, really? I gazed up someone's tailpipe on the 405 for an hour and then got into work ;)

    Sounds idyllic - enjoy! What's the Cook's lager like?

    Owen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Allie! More photos to come, for sure!

    Owen, that must have been one big vehicle in front of you (you were referring to a vehicle, I hope)! Cook's lager was fairly smooth and light, although not the lightest lager I've had. Think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete